Validation of Your Visa
Once you arrive in Brazil, you will have to register at the Federal Police during the first 30 days of your stay so you can get your Foreigner ID (“Registro Nacional de Estrangeiro” or “RNE”). If you fail to do so, you may face problems like not being allowed to return to Brazil in the future, or being asked to pay a penalty fee. Keep track of this number after leaving Brazil as you may need it later for employment background checks.
The Polícia Federal stations are located in:
- BELO HORIZONTE: Av. Francisco Deslandes, 900, Anchieta (Shopping Plaza Anchieta) (open from 8:30am to 12:00pm and from 1:30pm to 4:00pm)
- FLORIANOPOLIS: Av. Governador Irineu Bornhausen 4744, Agronômica (Av. Beira Mar Norte)
- NITERÓI: Niterói Shopping, Rua da Conceição 188, 3o. Andar (open from 10:00am to 4:00pm).
When you go to the Federal Police, you will need to take the following documents:
- Original passport
- Photocopy of all pages of your passport that were used, written on, or stamped
- Original visa application–the piece of paper document with your picture that you received from the consulate (it’s very important you do not leave this in the US)
- Entrance registration (you will receive this document at the airport, upon arrival to Brazil)
- Two recent color photos, 3cm x 4cm, white background (cost: R$20,00)
- Two completed forms and payment receipts. Be aware that you could have to wait up to 90 days for your registration to be completed. Should you fail to complete it within this time frame, the Polícia Federal might charge you a daily fee of approximately R$100. If you decide to enter in the country prior to the arrival date, let the director know in advance. Your foreigner registration period start the day you enter the country, not the date of the official program start. Polícia Federal will provide you with a stamped white paper (Protocol RNE) stating you are registered. Keep it with you to show as you exit the country, if asked. Your actual ID might take longer to be available. A letter will arrive at your address to let you know when the ID is ready for pick up.