Every student’s academic program must be approved by the Middlebury-CMRS academic staff. Students are not permitted to take lighter loads, nor will they receive additional credit for heavier loads.

Middlebury Undergraduates

Middlebury College students receive four units of credit for the fall semester and five units of credit for the winter/spring semester and nine units of credit for the academic year. Where J-term equivalency credit is awarded, reduced course loads result in the loss of this credit as well.

To receive major credit for courses taken abroad, you need to bring the following information back with you:

  1. Course syllabi
  2. Reading lists
  3. Course work
  4. Any other material you think will be useful in determining the course content

Students from Other Colleges and Universities

Middlebury College considers a semester /academic year abroad equivalent to a semester/academic year in the U.S. Students who transfer their credits to other institutions typically receive 15-16 credit hours per semester or 20-25 quarter units per semester for a full course load.  Because an undergraduate student’s home institution determines the number of credits awarded for work abroad, students are urged to consult with their advisers well ahead of time.